Sunday, January 10, 2010

A story of Faith and courage

There is a family here at St. Henry who I have never met personally. I have just recently learned of their incredible witness to the Faith and their miraculous story that has played out.

You will find their blog here. I first found it 3 days ago. A friend of mine told me about the family and gave me a brief introduction to their story. Friday night, I read the entire bog. Tears consumed me. Since then this family has taken over my thoughts and prayers.

There is so much swirling around in my head right now, it's hard to put it into words. I wish this mother had a soap box so big that the whole world could hear of her Faith, hope, and love for this child that God housed inside her womb for a short period of time, and then allowed the family the opportunity to embrace her for five days outside of her Mother's womb.

This young lady went against all of the Doctor's advice to go ahead and end this child's life, but she refused. Why? This wasn't about her. It was about Adalynne Dior and God's unique plan for her.

Erika says it best though:

I know there have been questions as to why we decided to travel the path we are going down. So, I am going to put it in a scenario; different situation but same instincts. As a parent, a mother rather, it is my first instinct to protect my children. If, Harrison were sick and I mean really sick; diagnosed with cancer and it had spread into a stage four; and we had tried everything to beat the cancer but the chemotherapy, radiation, bone marrow transplants, and stem cell transplants were not working, the cancer had continued to grow. Would we ask the nurse to give him a bolus of potassium to end his life just because he is terminal? Absolutely not, we would love him, cherish him, and do everything in our powers to protect the time he had left with us and pray like hell.

Adalynne is no different, just because her life has only been inside of me doesn't discount the fact that she is still my little girl; our little girl. She was conceived out of love, wanted, celebrated. Her life matters to me and it matters to my husband, Harrison, Houston, and even our Jack Russel Chloe.

Adalynne has a terminal diagnosis and it sucks, but she is still here. I live everyday and relish her movement while I sustain her life. I used to have this "feature" on our computer that counted down the days until my due date. Since learning of her terminal diagnosis, knowing I sustain her precious life, I don't look at it anymore. I don't want to know how far along I am in her pregnancy. It is almost like a count down of how much time we have with her.

Am I in denial? No, but I know her due date is February 7, 2010. And when that day comes she will not leave the hospital. That is why living and relishing in her every movement is so vital to me getting through this journey.

I love my little girl so much. She has been to Playa del Carmen, graduated college with her mommy, passed state boards, coached two soccer teams, helped a family in need in Guatemala, witnessed the union of six amazing people, been to every Titan's home game, and brought true happiness to me and even broke a few hearts. She likes going to the movies, she turns into an acrobat; flipping this way and that. She does not like it if I sit with my knees tucked up, it makes her move like crazy, and as soon as I put my knees down she stops moving. It is her own little way of letting me know she is perturbed with her mommy's current position.

Erika may not know it, but her sharing her life's events will change the hearts of so many families. When she accepted that her child would not live for very long outside of her womb, she did the most courageous thing a mother could do, and sustained Adalynne's life as long as time allowed. She sacrificed her body for her child's.

When Ryan and I were getting a second opinion, in regards to Adalynne's condition, I felt like the entire medical team, involved in the second opinion, strongly agreed termination would be best for Adalynne. I thought it was strange that even the well respected doctor asked, "What are you going to say and how are you going to handle the grocery store outings when someone asks you about your baby?" Was he justifying that as a feasible reason to end some one's life? Did he think I was going to just speed up the inevitable, because a stranger's harmless question? Had that questionable scenario determined a quicker means to an end with mothers before me? But, what do you say?

I do not mind, and it does not bother me when people ask me when the baby is due. It does not make me sad. I am very genuine in my answers. Like I have said before, I love this little girl so much. She is my daughter and I am so proud to be her mom, and no question or condition will ever change that.

Please, keep this family in your prayers and share their Faith with others. I know that God is going to do miraculous things with Adalynne's legacy that she has left us.

I hope that Ryan and Erika remember that when they are at Mass and receive Jesus in the Eucharist, that they once again reunited with Adalynne through the Mystical Body of Christ. My friend Kristi gives a beautiful witness of this here. Kristi is just another person who fills this world with Faith, hope, and love.


Peace of Christ with you all,

Kim

1 comment:

  1. All i have to say is that I heard the sermon today at Mass telling us all about Adalynne and how he want to Baptize her right after she was born and that she would not live long. She died last night he told us towards the end of his story and I had tears in my eyes in the beginning of the story, but when Father told us that she died last night....Tears welled up in my eyes and I couldn't keep them from coming down. I could feel the love and pain that parents would feel. I felt as though I was the one who just lost this precious child. To be in the parent's situation, I do not ever want to be in but I hold them in their faith very high. The acceptance of what was to come. Them cherishing every moment they had with her even though they could not see her; they could feel her right there with them at all times. I know, since I am a mother of many that you get connected and have a bond so strong while your child is growning inside you that it is as though you already know the child before they are born (you just don't know what they look like). The witness that this family has been is something I will never forget and yes, I cried like heck while reading this post. Ask my husband that could hardly understand what I was reading out loud to him. I can't help it because I am a mother and there is nothing like being one. I pray that every mother has the strength like this mother and that every father will stand by with his arms open wide to their wife as they go thru the same emotions.

    I hate to say thank you to these parents....but I must because this love and devotion is not seen much anymore. So thank you for giving this child the chance to live and let her tell you when she didn't like your position because you were making her uncomfortable :0) thank you for living your faith to the end like Our Lord did. Thank you for being open to the love and accepting this beautiful life that God gave you. I wish I could know you and could have seen the precious face of Adalynne. My love and prayers go out to you!!!! Thank you Jesus for parents like you!!!! Unfortunately, we need more witnesses like you. I hope to be able to introduce myself to Adalynne's parents and give them a huge hug and tell them Thank You and God Bless, Mary Keep and St Joseph guide you!!!!

    ReplyDelete