Thursday, January 14, 2010

At the Root of NFP

Yesterday, I had the honor of being part of Adalynne Dior's celebration of Life. It was beautiful. Guests were adorned in pink and white. I'd never seen a casket so small. I was keeping myself together for the most part. I did get a little emotional when Adalynne's mother, Erika, read the second reading from II Corinthians 13:1-13... Love is patient, love is kind, love knows all things, love bears all things... Father Mike's homily was beautiful also. I honestly don't know how he held himself together, the Holy Spirit I guess. He spoke of the incredible way that Erika and Ryan have truly lived Christ's Gospel.

However, it wasn't until I was walking up to receive Communion that I lost it. I saw the family, saw the casket, the picture of Adalynne, and the tears were pouring. I knew, as I was quickly approaching Father, that I would in that moment be united with Adalynne through the Mystical Body of Christ. I had so many emotions. The biggest being, that God is doing some amazing things with Adalynne. I know, without a doubt He has already begun. Erika and Ryan may not understand the impact they will have on countless other people.

But what keeps coming back to me is how interrelated this is with Natural Family Planning. With NFP, it's not that we are just open to life. It is a self-sacrificing life they we live. (I don't mean that in an arrogant way =) We understand that children are gifts from God. Our bodies are just the first stop for these individuals. It really has nothing to do with us. The child's soul is for the Lord, not for us. When God is calling on us to bring a child into this world, it is not on our watch, but His. I understand that this takes a quality prayer life and conversation with your spouse.

What brings this all full circle with Ryan and Erika is that, Erika seemed to realize that Adalynne was not about her. Adalynne was put here for Our Lord's agenda. Erika and Ryan made a choice that has now come to the attention of many, many people and will continue to linger around. It is a choice that few other couples have made. People are so afraid of pain. We think that pain is a bad thing. We take medicine to take away physical pain, emotional pain, etc... We work hard to get rid of it, and make sure it does not come back.

Erika and Ryan have embraced their pain. They have shared it with the world. We have embraced their pain. They lean on The Lord!

I leave you with the quote on the cover of Adalynne's Celebration of Life program:

"Every child brings us God's smile and invites us to recognize that life is His gift. A gift to be welcomed with love and preserved with care... always and at every moment."
Pope Benedict XVI

In His Holy Name,
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment